I came up with this recipe for my Mother-in-law’s birthday. She wanted a chocolate cake along with cherries. I used a chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding along with cherry pie filling and whipping cream to create this incredible dessert. Yes it is Heavenly!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix with pudding in the mix, prepared in two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding prepared by following instructions on box
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream, chilled
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Follow directions on cake box to bake 2 (8 to 9 inch) round cakes. Set prepared cakes aside to cool completely.
- Follow directions on instant chocolate pudding, prepare and set aside.
- Place large mixing bowl and beaters in freezer for 30 minutes to chill before whipping the cream. Add cream to chilled bowl and beat with electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until cream hold peaks.
- Using a bread knife cut cakes in half making 4 layers instead of 2.
- On bottom of cake plate, spread 1 heaping tablespoon of pudding and cherry pie filling. Now place first layer on top of pudding/cherry mixture.
- Next spread ½ of pudding on top of first cake layer along with ½ of cherry pie filling.. Second layer spread with whipped cream. Third layer spread with remaining pudding and cherry pie filling. Place top layer on cake and cover entire cake with whipped cream.
- Optional: Garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.